… and I just know you are fascinated to hear that the latest round of site fiddlin’ is just about wrapped up. For the curious:
- I added domain-restricted searching via Google to the sidebar. Google seems to pay attention to my site, so it seems to work fairly well.
- The drop-down archive menus are now sitewide.
- In a related matter, I added the appropriate new secondary category archive flags (KG of the Week, Monday Art, Blimp Week) to the appropriate entries and cleaned up some incidental duplicates.
- I added the sidebar to all of the ancillary pages.
- I made the category archives navigable, and edited their format to increase load speed.
- I’m still futzing with “Recent Entries” on the archive pages; currently the “recent” list is, in fact, what’s recent within the appropriate category. I think I have a brute-force workaround in place but I believe there’s a better way.
- Last but not least, I’m working on a “recently discussed” link area for your easy reference, currently viewable only on the main page.
*phew!* man, the rebuilds are starting to D R A G, though. All those queries and page builds for pore ol’ l’il perl to crunch thru… good camel, good boy.
Hunh, you know, what I *should* do is build the sidebar once into a flat text file, and have the pages call it in either at page view (via PHP or shtml SSI) or (this is somewhat preferable) at perl-munging time. Hm, yes, that’s the way to do it.